Welcome S-CAR Graduate Students
Steps to Get Started:
Spring 2014 Enrollment Confirmation:
- If you have not already confirmed your enrollment, please confirm by clicking here.
- Please note, if you accept your offer of admission, it may take up to 2 business days for your record to be updated. Once your record is updated, you will be able to activate your account and begin the registration process.
Spring 2014 S-CAR New Student Orientations:
- Orientation is required for ALL incoming students.
- Spring 2014 MS New Student Webinar:
S-CAR’s Office of Graduate Admissions and Student Services has developed new student webinars to discuss faculty mentor assignments, program requirements, and course registration. Students are required to view each webinar. Webinar links are provided below:
Getting Started – Crystal Harris, Director of Graduate Admissions
MS Program Review – Erin Ogilvie, Director of Student Services
- Spring 2014 MS Orientation (required):
- Wednesday, January 15, 2014, 6pm-9pm, Arlington Campus, Foundation Bldg, Conference Room 5183. Please visit the event page for more information. Beverages and light appetizers will be served. Please click here to RSVP to orientation and set up your individual advising appointment. Please RSVP by Monday, January 6, 2014.
- Spring 2014 Graduate Certificate Orientation:TBA.
- MS Students: Information on your assigned faculty advisor (mentor) will be E-Mailed to you prior to orientation. All students can register for class prior to meeting with an advisor. All incoming MS students are required to meet with a staff advisor within the first 2 months of enrollment.
- Graduate Certificate Students: Mara Schoeny, Ph.D., Director of the Certificate Program is the advisor for all Certificate Students: email@example.com. You can register for classes prior to meeting with Dr. Schoeny.
Immunization Record Requirements:
- Virginia law requires ALL admitted university students to submit immunization documentation.Immunization records should be ssubmitted directly to Student Health Services. Please review their site for submission details and to access the required immunization form.
- A hold will be placed on your account and a late fee assessed if you do not submit your complete immunization records by the posted deadline.
Setting up your Patriot Pass Account:
- All incoming students must set up their Patriot Pass account. In order to register for courses and use Mason secure systems, you will need to set up your Patriot Pass account.
- Once you have indicated your intent to enroll and it has been processed, you may access the PatriotPass system to claim your username/NetID, click HERE.
- You will need your G number and CLAIM ID number, which is your birth month, day and year in 2 digit format. (e.g. June 30, 1976, would be entered as 063076). You received your G number when you submitted your admissions application. Your G number can also be found on your Student Status Sheet included in your acceptance letter by mail.
- Registration for classes and each semester’s schedule of classes is available at https://patriotweb.gmu.edu/. Use your Patriot Pass information to login.
- You should register and pay for your tuition and fees before the first day of class of each term.
- Click here for important add/drop deadline information.
- For details on course descriptions and available course syllabi:
S-CAR Courses and Syllabi
Your GMU (Mason Live) E-Mail address:
- Your Patriot Pass information will be your login for your Mason Live E-mail account.
- You can access your E-Mail by clicking HERE.
- You can set up your Mason Live account to forward a copy of your Mason Live E-Mail to your personal email such as Gmail or Hotmail etc.
- You must check this E-Mail address: Mason faculty and staff are required to use this address for student information.
Financial Aid/Student Accounts:
- For information regarding financial aid and/or student loans, we recommend setting up an appointment with a financial aid counselor. All Mason students are assigned a counselor.
- The Mason financial aid counselor assigned to all incoming Malta Program students is Kevin Mayer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- For all payment questions including payment plans and third party billing, contact Student Accounts.
Books & Student ID:
- Books can be purchased at the Arlington campus bookstore or through their website.
- The Mason Student ID can be obtained in Hazel Hall, Room 134. The Mason Student ID also serves as a Mason Library card.
S-CAR Community Forum:
- Join the S-CAR Community Forum, an online networking site for S-CAR students, faculty, staff and alumni where you can create your own profile page.
- Here you can view messages from the department, job/internship postings, new course offerings, housing/roommate search postings, join an S-CAR working group, send messages to your professor and fellow students as well as network with those who share your expertise or research interests.
Log on HERE.
- Permits may be purchased at either the Arlington or Fairfax campuses. You must bring a copy of your schedule if you wish to purchase a parking permit. Arlington permits work for both the Arlington or Fairfax campuses. Fairfax permits work for the Fairfax campus only. You can also order a parking permit online.
- Street parking and metered parking is available around the Arlington Campus.
- S-CAR is between the Virginia Square and Clarendon metro stations on the Orange Line.
Update Your Information:
- It is very important to update your contact information so that S-CAR and GMU can send you materials to the correct mailing address. You can update your information by logging into Patriotweb. Choose update address(es) and phone number(s) under the Personal Information Tab.
Scholarships & Fellowships:
There is no student housing at the Mason Arlington Campus. For assistance in securing housing, review the information below:
(1) S-CAR Community Network and Forum: http://scarcommunity.ning.com
Become a member of the S-CAR community so that you are able to obtain information from our website. In the Forum section, you will see Housing (and items for sale bulletin board), which will provide you with the information on off-campus housing.
(2) New Graduate Housing – Beacon Hall (Fairfax Campus) : http://housing.gmu.edu/graduate
For the Fall 2012 semester, Beacon Hall offers fully furnished studio ($960/month), onebedroom ($1230/month), and two-bedroom apartments ($730/month), for approximately 152 graduate students. The rents include utilities, cable and internet services. For more information, please contact Katie Taylor, Graduate Assistant for University Life, at email@example.com. In your e-mail, please include your current or intended graduate program, as well as your interest in the studio, one-bedroom, or two-bedroom option.
(3) Off-Campus Housing (OCH): http://och.gmu.edu
Please first create your account and profile. You then may want to decide locations, and read through the information about the roommates and accommodations suggested by this website. By going through the data and directly contacting these persons, you would be able to figure out the roommates and houses fitting your interests. For those who are interested in connecting with S-CAR members, you may want to include this interest in your profile descriptions.
(4) International Student group on Yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gmuintlstudents
This group is designed to give incoming and continuing GMU students a chance to share practical tips regarding housing, transportation, and all matters relating to students’ lives in and out of campus.
(5) Housing listings on Craigslist: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/
Many students find accomodations and furnishing on this popular public website. Shared housing is cheaper than apartment rentals. S-CAR is located in the Courthouse/Clarendon/Ballston area, just off of the orange metro line.