Welcome S-CAR Graduate Students
Steps to Get Started:
Fall 2014 Enrollment Confirmation:
- If you are an MS Hybrid Online Students, please confirm by clicking here.
- If you have not already confirmed your enrollment, please confirm by clicking here.
- Please note, if you accept your offer of admission, it may take up to 2 business days for your record to be updated. Once your record is updated, you will be able to activate your account and begin the registration process.
Fall 2014 S-CAR New Student Orientations:
- Orientation is required for ALL incoming students.
- Fall 2014 MS New Student Webinar: S-CAR’s Office of Graduate Admissions and Student Services has developed new student webinars to discuss faculty mentor assignments, program requirements, and course registration. Students are required to view each webinar. Webinar links are provided below:
Getting Started – Crystal Harris, Director of Graduate Admissions
MS Program Review – Lisa Shaw, Director of Student Services
- Fall 2014 MS Orientation (required): Wednesday, August 20th, Please visit the event page for more information. Beverages and light appetizers will be served. Please click here to RSVP to orientation and set up your individual advising appointment. Please RSVP by Monday, August 11, 2014.
- Fall 2014 Graduate Certificate Orientation:TBA.
- MS Students: Information on your assigned faculty advisor (mentor) will be E-Mailed to you prior to orientation. All students can register for class prior to meeting with an advisor. All incoming MS students are required to meet with Lisa Shaw (email@example.com) or a staff advisor within the first 2 months of enrollment. A meeting for Summer 2014 with Lisa Shaw can be scheduled below.
- PhD Students: PhD students should make an advising appointment with Dr. Julie Shedd at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Graduate Certificate Students: Mara Schoeny, Ph.D., Director of the Certificate Program is the advisor for all Certificate Students: email@example.com. You can register for classes prior to meeting with Dr. Schoeny.
'G#'s and Setting up your Patriot Pass Account:
- All incoming students must set up their Patriot Pass account. In order to register for courses and use Mason secure systems, you will need to set up your Patriot Pass account.
- Once you have indicated your intent to enroll and it has been processed, you may access the PatriotPass system to claim your username/NetID, click HERE and clicking the link in option #1.
- You received your G number when you submitted your admissions application. Your G number can also be found on your Student Status Sheet included in your acceptance letter by mail.
- Your Claim Code is your birthdate in the following format: MMDDYY.
Update Your Information:
- It is very important to update your contact information so that S-CAR and GMU can send you materials to the correct mailing address. You can update your information by logging into Patriotweb. Choose update address(es) and phone number(s) under the Personal Information Tab.
Your GMU (Mason Live) E-Mail address:
- Your Patriot Pass information will be your login for your Mason Live E-mail account.
- You can access your E-Mail by clicking HERE.
- You can set up your Mason Live account to forward a copy of your Mason Live E-Mail to your personal email such as Gmail or Hotmail etc.
- You must check this E-Mail address: Mason faculty and staff are required to use this address for student information.
Mason Student ID:
- Students will need their Mason Student ID card to access the S-CAR department in the early morning and evenings.
- The Mason ID can be obtained in Hazel Hall, Room 134 (located in the Law Library).
- The card also serves as a GMU Library card and access to student discounts.
- MasonMoney can be loaded onto the card to pay for printing/photocopies and other purchases on campus.
- Registration for classes and each semester’s schedule of classes is available at https://patriotweb.gmu.edu/. Use your Patriot Pass information to login.
- You should register and pay for your tuition and fees before the first day of class of each term.
- Click here for important add/drop deadline information.
- For details on course descriptions and available course syllabi:
S-CAR Courses and Syllabi
- Click Here for information on how to register on Patriotweb.
Student Health Services and Immunization Record Requirements:
- All registered students have access to GMU Student Health Services.
- Virginia law requires ALL admitted university students to submit immunization documentation.Immunization records should be submitted directly to the Immunization office. Please review their site for submission details and to access the required immunization form. Student Health Services can provide immunizations for a fee Here.
- A hold will be placed on your account and a late fee assessed if you do not submit your complete immunization records by the posted deadline.
- All international students are required to have health insurance. The University's Student Health Insurance Program is Aetna. Register Here before the second week of school to ensure you have coverage.
Financial Aid/Student Accounts:
- For information regarding financial aid and/or student loans, we recommend setting up an appointment with a financial aid counselor. All Mason students are assigned a counselor.
- The Mason financial aid counselor assigned to all incoming Malta Program students is Kevin Mayer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- For all payment questions including payment plans and third party billing, contact Student Accounts.
Scholarships & Fellowships:
- Permits may be purchased at either the Arlington or Fairfax campuses. You must bring a copy of your schedule if you wish to purchase a parking permit. Arlington permits work for both the Arlington or Fairfax campuses. Fairfax permits work for the Fairfax campus only. You can also order a parking permit online.
- Street parking and metered parking is limited but available around the Arlington Campus.
- S-CAR is between the Virginia Square and Clarendon metro stations on the Orange Line.
There is no student housing at the Mason Arlington Campus. For assistance in securing housing, review the information below:
(1) S-CAR Community Network and Forum: http://scarcommunity.ning.com
Become a member of the S-CAR community so that you are able to obtain information from our website. In the Forum section, you will see Housing (and items for sale bulletin board), which will provide you with the information on off-campus housing.
(2) New Graduate Housing – Beacon Hall (Fairfax Campus) : http://housing.gmu.edu/graduate
For the Fall 2012 semester, Beacon Hall offers fully furnished studio ($960/month), onebedroom ($1230/month), and two-bedroom apartments ($730/month), for approximately 152 graduate students. The rents include utilities, cable and internet services. For more information, please contact Katie Taylor, Graduate Assistant for University Life, at email@example.com. In your e-mail, please include your current or intended graduate program, as well as your interest in the studio, one-bedroom, or two-bedroom option.
(3) Off-Campus Housing (OCH): http://och.gmu.edu
Please first create your account and profile. You then may want to decide locations, and read through the information about the roommates and accommodations suggested by this website. By going through the data and directly contacting these persons, you would be able to figure out the roommates and houses fitting your interests. For those who are interested in connecting with S-CAR members, you may want to include this interest in your profile descriptions.
(4) International Student group on Yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gmuintlstudents
This group is designed to give incoming and continuing GMU students a chance to share practical tips regarding housing, transportation, and all matters relating to students’ lives in and out of campus.
(5) Housing listings on Craigslist: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/
Many students find accomodations and furnishings on this popular public website. Shared housing is cheaper than apartment rentals. S-CAR Arlington Campus is located in the Courthouse/Clarendon/Virginia Square/ Ballston area, just off of the orange metro line.
MyMasonPortal and the S-CAR Community Forum:
- Access University information and services and online classes on Blackboard Here.
- Join the S-CAR Community Forum, an online networking site for S-CAR students, faculty, staff and alumni where you can create your own profile page. Log on HERE.
- The Community Forum allows you to view messages from the department, job/internship postings, new course offerings, connect within a class, find housing/roommate search postings, join an S-CAR working group, start a conversation, send messages to your professor and fellow students as well as network with those who share your expertise or research interests.
Purchasing Books and Other Items
- Books can be purchased at the Arlington campus bookstore or through their website.
- S-CAR will recieve a smabenefit for any kind of purchase on Amazon if your enter via an S-CAR website link such as the book link at the bottom of this page.
- The Arlington Campus bookstore also has GMU and S-CAR swag (cups, keychains, etc.) and apparel for sale. Visit the Arlington Campus Bookstore or their website for information.
Research and Writing Resources
- Click Here or visit the John Burton Library at S-CAR for information on library resources, course reading reserves, book private research strategy sessions, learn about Zotero (an instant bibliographies software), avoiding plagiarism, how to access class resources such as Blackboard, register for workshops, borrow AV/tech resources, learn how to publish or attend conferences, submit your thesis or dissertation, request book purchases, and much more.