John Burton Library
Find the information and resources you need to complete a course, write a paper, or give a report from S-CAR and University Libraries.
The John Burton Library and Resource Center with its dedicated focus on conflict analysis and resolution provides the S-CAR community information on the University, research services, study tools, S-CAR archives, and rare sources from the Field. This private, donation-based library located at the heart of S-CAR on the Arlington Campus, is a place where the community comes together to learn. "
- Books — four weeks
- Technology — three weeks
- Renewals — up to three times a semester
- Books — $1 per week
- Technology — $2 per week
If You're Late Returning a Book
The Burton Library is independent from the Mason Libraries system. You might have to pay a fine if you return a book to the incorrect library.
Seriously overdue items could put a block on you accounts, which might affect your ability to register or graduate.
Mason University and Consortium Libraries
S-CAR students' main sources for research are the University Libraries, which consists of four facilities across Mason's three campuses. These sites provide access to more than 6 million print and electronic resources.
Students can search the University Libraries' catalog for books, media, databases, newspapers, and journals. Books, media, and microfiche can be delivered to any university campus through Mason's Inter-campus Loan service. Materials not available at the University Libraries can be requested through the Washington Research Library Consortium, (WRLC) or Interlibrary Loan.
WRLC items are usually delivered within two to three business days. Students also have access to materials in Arlington, D.C., and Fairfax libraries, as well as the WorldCat, and Library of Congress catalogs.
Technology and Tools
The Burton Library can help students check out video equipment, and provide preliminary training. Available equipment includes:
- Audio recorders
- Video equipment
- Stands, tripods
- USB foot-pedals for transcription assistance software
Resources and Supplies
- The Arlington Campus Copy Center, in the Hazel Hall Law Library, will print and bind e-readings into a course pack from thumb drive files for a few cents a page.
- Photocopiers are opposite the mail boxes near the Dean's office and in the Burton Library. You must pay with Mason Money swipe cards (either your ID card or a copy card).
- Computers, scanners and some printers are available in the Burton Library and on campus.
- Office equipment such extra-large hole punchers and staplers are available in the Burton Library.
Founders of the Field have contributed their works to S-CAR and Mason. The University Libraries Special Collection and Archives houses S-CAR related special collections. The Burton Library also has books and papers donated by several founders and hosts the Parents of the Field video collection and the Zones of Peace database.
S-CAR Theses and Dissertations can be found via:
- S-CAR Theses and Dissertations
- Mason Archival Repository Services (MARS)
- University Libraries Theses and Dissertations (1973-2012, in hard copy)
- Proquest Database
Contact or Visit Us
The Burton Library is on the fifth floor, Metropolitan Building on the Arlington Campus. Hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. Contact us at 703-993-1301.